Friday, January 6, 2012

things i'm into

i am but a simple person, with simple likes and dislikes. any kind of cheese = like. fruit in my pastries = dislike. anything on the history channel = like. anything with katherine heigl = dislike. see, super simple. here are a few items i like right now.

some people collect 3" plastic dunnies, some people collect broken hearts. i am a collector of all things jacket. this red leather jacket was the cherry find of 2011, and all i had to do was brave black friday. when i was 10 or 11, my dad bought a slim fitted, fire engine red leather jacket (as most people did when "thriller" came out.) i remember he wore it often. once, after working with a gay male client in san francisco, i over heard him tell my mom that said gay complimented my dad on the jacket. i knew that one day, that jacket must be mine. on a recent visit to my parents' house, my mom asked me how that jacket was. i wish i knew. i really do. alas, it was the one that got away.


i got rid of all my faux fur coats right before i moved to nyc. it was just as well. my only closet in my studio apartment back there was no bigger than a california common hallway closet: shallow and thin. so for over a decade, faux fur hasn't existed to me. not until i saw a girl wearing the perfect leopard print coat on a cold winter's night in downtown la a few months ago did i realize that i missed my faux fur. after looking for months at high end and low end stores, i found one i fancy. i plan on wearing this with my red suede, velcro high tops as soon as the weather permits.


i love these shoes. i still haven't broken them in yet, but i plan on it. gonna have to wear them miami vice style: no socks.



this is a treasure. i remember the night i received it like it was yesterday (probably because it was only last month.) it was 3:30 am, i had just bailed my friend out of huntington beach jail (i can just hear her now, griping, "you're mentioning jail? shoot my face!") for the record, that place was a motherfucker to find. i had to call the joint 4 times to find the walkway. thought they were pranking me with their crumby directions - crap punishment, guilt by association, i say. after driving her to her car which was left where they arrested her, (less than a mile from her house; bummer luck) she came to my drivers' side window, a box in hand. "hey, i think you might like this," she said, as she handed it to me. i opened the box, to see another box within another box, then finally, this lovely pocket watch. maybe it was the half bag of snickers minis and the bottle of spring water i greeted her with as she walked out free from the other side of the jail ward, or the fact that i just lost my bail bond virginity at approximately 2 am tuesday morning, or that time served in prison really effects you; whatever the reason, she presented me such a cool time piece that i love, a giving gesture that oddly goes hand in hand forever with an unforgettable event associated with the bailing out of a city inmate.

No comments:

Post a Comment