can't bare to pay $30 for an ugly doll? make your own, one of a kind monster, you creative cheapskate. here's what you'll need:
- pencil, paper, and a good grasp for ugly-cute
- sharp scissors
- felt for the body and maybe extra colors for any details
- sewing needle
- sewing thread
- thick embroidery thread (i like to use contrasting thread colors)
- poly stuffing
- hot glue gun
1. start with a doodle
2. make it actual size, then make sure to give a 1/4" seam allowance for sewing
3. cut out the paper template, then outline it on the felt
4. cut out the felt, pin, and sew up to the points marked in blue. this opening is where you'll a) turn the monster inside-out, then b) stuff it as much as you can, but remember, you're going to have to hand sew this part up so don't get carried away or you'll be sad the guts poop out and get in the way of stitching. (of course, i forgot to take a picture of this step. craps.)
5. i hand topstitched some of the details. it just gives it more personality. this guy is a pirate smoker with a heart of gold.
6. once you're happy with the placement of the details, hot glue them on. you could sew them on if you want, but i like to see them stuffed, then decide exactly where i want everything to be. it's a pain to undo sewing on felt...sometimes, the felt disintegrates and gets ruined. not worth all your hard work.
7. and here we are. this one is going to a birthday pal.